This is an easy recipe for small batch chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. It only requires 1 bowl and makes about 1 dozen cookies. It’s also a great way to use up some of that extra holiday chocolate you might have around the house!
Last week, I came home to an incredible PR package from Purdy’s Chocolatier. It was a big box, filled with Easter chocolates. As I’m sure you can imagine, PR packages always get me excited, but to receive gourmet chocolate was especially exciting. After all, I have a pretty big sweet tooth – and I happen to love chocolate. While I could easily devour all of the chocolate on my own, I have every intention of sharing some of the goodies over the Easter weekend. I did however, dive into a few things right away, including the mini peanut butter eggs. And in case you’re wondering, they are amaaaaazing (and addictive)!
Peanut butter and chocolate is always a great combination, but when you’re combining high quality chocolate with high quality peanut butter…it’s magical.
A couple of days after I received the chocolates, creativity struck – as did a craving for homemade chocolate chip cookies.
I always have to make an effort not to over-do it on the sweets (and I don’t have much willpower), so I didn’t want to make a huge batch of cookies. Alas, I jumped onto Pinterest and searched for a “small batch” recipe. I found this really awesome recipe, and started to prep my ingredients to make them. But then it hit me. The recipe called for “good quality chocolate” and I had a bunch of that at home, just waiting to be enjoyed. So, I tweaked the recipe a little bit….and voila! My easy small batch chocolate chip peanut butter cookie recipe was born.
Oh, and just as an FYI, taking photos was an after thought…so they’re not the prettiest cookies I’ve ever made. Sorry not sorry!
The Recipe For Small Batch Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup white all-purpose flour (not packed into the measuring cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup chopped peanut butter chocolate eggs
- 3 table spoons of regular chocolate chips
- 6 additional chocolate eggs, cut in half (for finishing)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, partially melt the butter in the microwave.
- With a spoon or a whisk, whisk in the brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extract into the bowl of the butter.
- Stir until completely smooth and then stir in the egg yolk.
- Measure the flour carefully making sure not to pack in the flour.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix well. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl. (If not, add a few more teaspoons of flour until a good dough is formed).
- Coarsely chop the chocolate eggs and stir them in with the chocolate chips. Knead the chocolate into the dough.
- Place the dough in an airtight container and in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. *This is probably the hardest step, but it’s important, so don’t skip it!!
- When ready to bake, set the oven temperature at 325 degrees F.
- Roll balls of dough that are even and on the top of each one, and place half an egg into the middle and flatten it down slightly. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Slightly under-baking these cookies will yield extremely soft and chewy cookies.
- Allow the cookies to continue to “bake” on the cookie sheet for 3 more minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.