If you’re a fellow creative, I’m sure you’d agree that inspiration can come and go at any time. There’s days when I don’t feel like writing, taking photos, or stepping foot into the kitchen. On the flip side, there’s those other (fantastic) days, when motivation, ideas, and the general desire to “create” comes easy to me. Well, the other day, the inspirational juices were flowing, so I decided to play a little bit in the kitchen.
I had a package of the President’s Choice ‘The Decadent® Chocolate Ganache Pots’ in the fridge. They’re a new product from the holiday collection, so I was itching to try them. Since chocolate ganache is so rich, I wanted to use them in something. I had some leftover pumpkin puree in the fridge, so I figured something pumpkin-y would be a good choice. I did a little bit of digging on Pinterest and eventually found a recipe that I could modify into my own. Alas, that’s where the idea for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting was born.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting:
This recipe has been adapted from The Cake Blog‘s Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes recipe. I chose to adapt this recipe, because it didn’t require a stand mixer. Side note, I don’t own a stand mixer, but it’s a dream of mine to one day own a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. For now, she remains on the wish-list. *sigh*
Ingredients for pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate filling
This recipe makes 12 regular-sized cupcakes.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- Chocolate ganache (I used the President’s Choice The Decadent Chocolate Ganache Pods)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Add butter, oil and milk to a large mixer bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree until well combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about ¾ full.
- Bake cupcakes for 21-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remaining chocolate ganache
- Combine the cream cheese and butter and mix until smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe your icing onto the top of your cupcakes. If you have professional piping bags and tips, great…but if not, here’s instructions on how to make a piping bag.
- Drizzle the top of your cupcakes with the remaining chocolate ganache.
These cupcakes are best enjoyed the day they’re baked, but otherwise, you can store them in the fridge. Just be sure to bring them back up to room temperature before serving.
See the cupcake-making process in action:
For an even better look at these pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate filling and cream cheese frosting, check out the video below. I had a couple of people asking about where to buy a marble serving tray, so I’ve linked to a couple of similar options in the video!
So…does anyone want a cupcake?